Advisor, Accounting Policies
EXPERIENCE THE EDGE
We’re one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with CAD$153 billion of net assets. We invest funds for the pension plans of the federal public service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.
Capturing and leading complex global investments requires us to work as one to seize valuable opportunities, in close collaboration with some of the world’s top companies. At PSP, you’ll join a team of motivated and engaged professionals, dedicated to propelling our organization further than ever before.
Do you have what it takes to spot the edge?
We’re seeking an Advisor, Accounting Policies, to partner with key stakeholders and peers to support and engage with our powerful networks of people, opportunities, and investments. At PSP, we embrace people that are eager to learn, ideate, and innovate people who strive for excellence, challenge the status quo and seek alternative perspectives.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As an Advisor, Accounting Policies you’ll
- Review, research and document new accounting standards (IFRS) and present to Director so as to participate in their implementation in collaboration with internal clients
- Perform technical quarterly and annual reviews of PSP’s financial statements for compliance with applicable accounting standards (IFRS) and discuss with the Director potential improvements
- Review complex investment transactions and determine, in collaboration with the Senior Manager, the appropriate accounting treatment. In some cases, suggest changes to preliminary agreements that will provide favorable accounting treatments for the company
- Address ad hoc requests by business units while ensuring an integral understanding of the operational needs by meeting with all relevant stakeholders as seen fit, reconciling such needs to both industry practice and financial statement reporting requirements
- To the extent needed, participate and present to internal clients and senior management findings impact of any changes required due to change in accounting standards, investment transactions or business unit issue analyses
- Assist Director in establishing and maintaining collaborative network with external peers (direct and indirect) so as to facilitate financial statement benchmarking and establishing market convention
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong knowledge of IFRS, specifically those pertaining to financial instruments and fair value
- Proven ability to learn and grasp complex technical information in a reasonable timeframe
- Initiative and resourcefulness in proposing solutions to various accounting issues
- Drive and focus on results with a client-oriented mindset
- Ability to navigate a fast-pace environment with a high level of autonomy
- Effective communication skills, both written and spoken with the ability to communicate complex accounting information to a non-technical audience
- Demonstrated initiative and curiosity to look beyond surface facts and conduct comprehensive, fact-based, value-added research
- Attention to detail and rigorous approach to research, analysis and documentation
- Ability to work collaboratively, cultivating meaningful relationships with colleagues and clients
- Drive to pursue excellence and challenge the status quo to seek out alternative perspectives
- Open-mindedness and active listening skills
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), CA designation
- Minimum of eight (8) years recent experience in financial accounting for publicly accountable enterprises with strong exposure to complex accounting issues or equivalent experience with one of the 4 leading audit firms
- Experience in researching and documenting accounting issues with references to relevant accounting standards
- Bilingualism and excellent English language redaction and reporting skills required
PSP Investments is an equal opportunity employer. PSP Investments does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable law.
This position is located at our Montreal offices.
Visit us on LinkedIn.