Senior Manager, Government Affairs
EXPERIENCE THE EDGE
We’re one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with CAD$153 billion of net assets. We invest funds for the pension plans of the federal public service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.
Capturing and leading complex global investments requires us to work as one to seize valuable opportunities, in close collaboration with some of the world’s top companies. At PSP, you’ll join a team of motivated and engaged professionals, dedicated to propelling our organization further than ever before.
Do you have what it takes to spot the edge?
We’re seeking a Senior Manager, Government Affairs for our Ottawa offices, to partner with key stakeholders and peers to support and engage with our powerful networks of people, opportunities, and investments. At PSP, we embrace people that are eager to learn, ideate, and innovate people who strive for excellence, challenge the status quo and seek alternative perspectives.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Government Relations and Public Policy, the Senior Manager serves as a contact person for parliamentary and public affairs matters related to PSPIB’s statutory mandate and associated cyclical reporting accountabilities. The Senior Manager will monitor, report and advise on parliamentary debates, committee deliberations and public policy initiatives relevant to PSPIB’s mandate and operations. The Senior Manager will facilitate PSPIB’s occasional parliamentary committee appearances and/or expert witness testimony before parliamentary committees as well as Canadian public sector stakeholder engagement(s), including meetings with the Pension Advisory Committees, PSPIB’s annual public meeting, and relevant meetings and/or public policy consultations with the Treasury Board Secretariat and other government officials. In addition to working closely with relevant colleagues in the Total Fund Strategy Group, the Manager will work in close coordination with PSPIB’s legal, tax, and communications teams.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As Senior Manager, Government Affairs, you’ll
- Monitor Federal and Provincial legislative activity and tracks relevant economic and social policy-related legislation in the context of parliamentary processes
- Manage tactical Treasury Board portfolio management matters related to Parliamentary inquiries and regulatory initiatives
- Maintain collaborative contact with tactical leads for the Pension Advisory Committees with respect to transactional engagements (e.g. annual meeting with the three Pension Advisory Committees and annual informal results briefings)
- Carry out public policy research, as well as policy consultation content development and input coordination
- Coordinate logistics associated with parliamentary committee appearances and/or hearings associated with studies, legislative and/or regulatory reviews
- Manage consultation and tactical communications with the Trade Commissioner Service of Global Affairs Canada with respect to PSP business development webinars and country-market specific business intelligence gathering
- Maintain a geopolitical risk database
- Maintain information outreach with the policy planning and parliamentary affairs units in key federal departments related to PSP’s asset class specific business development pursuits (e.g. Infrastructure Canada, Transport Canada, Innovation Science and Economic Development, Global Affairs Canada, Natural Resources Canada, PSPC, Agriculture and Agrifood Canada, Finance Canada, Environment and Climate Change Canada, Department of National Defence, Department of Veterans Affairs, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada);
- Provide policy content support for relevant industry association/thought leadership engagements.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Effective communications skills, both written and spoken (fluency in French and English preferred)
- Demonstrated initiative and curiosity to look beyond surface facts and conduct comprehensive, fact-based, value-added research
- Ability to work collaboratively, cultivating meaningful relationships with colleagues and clients
- Drive to pursue excellence and challenge the status quo to seek out alternative perspectives
- Open-mindedness and active listening skills
- A respect for differences of opinion and an inclusive mindset
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- University degree in business administration, economics, political science or related fields
- 10 years of experience pertinent to the role, with at least 5 years in government affairs management
- Thorough understanding of policy analysis and critical assessment
- Understanding of international relations, international financial institutions, international trade policy and/or institutions
- Familiarity with Canadian public administration, machinery of government and public policy development processes
- High people, change and results agility
- Detail oriented project management capacity
- Proficiency with computers — Excel (functions and macros) and MS Office
PSP Investments is an equal opportunity employer. PSP Investments does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable law.
This position is located at our Ottawa offices.
Visit us on LinkedIn.