Senior Director, Transversal Risk
EXPERIENCE THE EDGE
We’re one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with CAD$153 billion of net assets. We invest funds for the pension plans of the federal public service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.
Capturing and leading complex global investments requires us to work as one to seize valuable opportunities, in close collaboration with some of the world’s top companies. At PSP, you’ll join a team of motivated and engaged professionals, dedicated to propelling our organization further than ever before.
Do you have what it takes to spot the edge?
We’re seeking a Senior Director, Transversal Risk who will be responsible for assisting the Vice President, Transversal Risk in establishing a strong and robust risk framework and more specifically, to
- Provide a total fund perspective, overseeing the risk framework across asset classes highlighting interdependencies and potential impacts on PSP’s total portfolio and its ongoing evolution;
- Maintain and improve the leverage and liquidity framework and investment metrics for the total fund; provide guidance and recommendations to Senior Management and develop key relationships with the CIO, Treasury and Investment Groups; and
- Deliver a holistic view of total fund risk by encompassing both private and public market investments for a dynamic approach to exposure and concentration analysis.
The qualified individual will assume responsibility for the continued development of this framework by improving and developing insightful and actionable reporting designed for Senior Management using current and new metrics across public and private markets to further enhance a total fund risk view. The individual will be accountable for providing effective analyses and independent supervision of investment risks to support the growth of the organization without taking undue risks. The incumbent will foster a risk management culture across business and support groups, whose mutual objectives are the resolution of problems, creation of value, risk mitigation and collaboration.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As a Senior Director, Transversal Risk, you’ll
- Act as a leader in applying and developing best practices for controlling risks inherent to the activities of the enterprise.
- Review and analyze the current total fund framework and propose enhancements.
- Develop an early warning risk indicator prototype dashboard.
- Produce initial risk map of non-traditional/emerging risks.
- Oversee the development of the risk decomposition methodology, evaluate transactions against identified risks, and monitor the portfolio.
- Work with asset class managers to develop a scenario analysis framework, which will establish a link between risk factors and portfolio sensitivity.
- Coordinate the proxy selection process and implement a governance framework.
- Provide fund analyses and reporting on expected and unexpected losses.
- Actively participate in strategic meetings and committees.
- Develop and coach employees.
- Maintain relations with our peers regarding transversal risks and stay abreast of relevant trends and best practices.
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders across the organization driving and embedding an enhanced risk culture.
- Oversee the ongoing development and production of key reporting activities.
- Oversee the development of enhanced policies and procedures ensuring efficient risk coverage.
- Contribute to the continued enhancement of risk practice strategies and methodologies.
- Willingness to become involved in other areas, such as team business planning, creation of external presentations and material for the office of the CRO, various workgroups and other corporate initiatives.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration, respect, creativity and recognition.
- Mobilize your employees to increase their engagement and retention, and develop their talent.
- Establish performance objectives, measuring and providing timely feedback.
- Provide direction, coaching and training as required, creating and implementing plans for the continued development of direct reports and encouraging professional development.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Solid knowledge of the risk measurement, analysis and management of private markets
- Advanced knowledge of credit, liquidity and leverage risks
- Advanced knowledge of private and public market risk methodologies
- Knowledge of markets, financial instruments and investment models
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and relevant databases, in particular PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and knowledge of or willingness to learn French
- Ability to successfully lead a group of professionals and interact effectively with senior management
- Ability to forge and maintain trusting relationships and credibility at all levels of the organization as a business partner
- In-depth understanding of risk management practices and methodologies, including risk assessment
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in finance, business administration
- Preferably have a professional designation FRM, PRM, CPA or CFA
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience
- Experience in a strategic position, having demonstrated influence and leadership
PSP Investments is an equal opportunity employer. PSP Investments does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable law.
This position is located at our Montreal offices.
Visit us on LinkedIn.